Thursday, August 30, 2007

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY JAKOB!!!!!!!!!!!


As I sit here this morning at 6:15 a.m, I'm reminded that this time last year, you were only a few hours old. Little did I know that you would bring your parent's constantly, daily to their knees in thanksgiving to God for YOU. Oh Jakob, you have been such a gift! You were WAY MORE than I ever asked for from God! You were the precious little baby we had desired for so long, and are truly a blessing from the Lord!
I have so enjoyed getting to know you over this last year, and God has provided many mommy/Jake times for us as well. Your daddy had to sacrifice some time with us to go to school and work to be able to provide for us even more. That was very hard for him to do and he missed us so much but he's making up for it now with taking care of you a lot now! But, as result you kept me GREAT company! You went EVERYWHERE with me and I liked it that way. I so enjoyed how just about every night we would cuddle on the couch awaiting daddy's arrival from school late at night or studying.
When you came along I finally felt/knew that second to being a wife, this is what God's role for me was...motherhood. And it felt so good! My calling is to be a mom!
I do really love to reflect on your itty-bittyness, but I am getting most excited thinking about the years ahead. The fun walks where you ask me the most random inquisitive, questions that only can come from a 3 year old mind, the first time you ask to dress yourself, daddy teaching you your first karate moves, dirt under your fingernails because you have been playing outside so hard, that sweaty boy smell(yes, I know that is strange), future wagon rides, big hugs and kisses that YOU initiate!
I know that God has a plan for you little Jakob, set before the beginning of time. We pray that this plan includes coming to know the Lord from a young age and committing your life to Him who made it. That you will be PASSIONATELY in love with your Savior, that you will feel God's grace and His work(death) on the cross FOR YOU little Jakob. We also pray for your future wife. Whether she is born or not yet, we still ask that your wife be one of noble character, kind, patient, tender, humble, and hopefully witty with a great sense of humor! But most of all we ask that she have a deep and abiding relationship with her God. And hopefully this special girl won't be scared off by your parents!!!!
We have so many hopes and dreams for you little man. But it is sure comforting to know that God's plan for wont be ''messed up'' by our many mistakes in parenting you. That although we will disappoint you...a lot, mess up ...a lot, God is still in control. He has a plan for you Jakob...a GOOD plan!
As I finish this letter to you my son, I don't think words can convey how grateful we are to have you. you have been such a joy to us this last year and we look forward to many more birthdays!!!!!!!!!
love,
daddy and mommy

3 comments:

Madeira girl said...

Happy birthday Jakob! It is so fun that he and Riley share a birthday!

The Pennells said...

Wow! And you said that you weren't good with words. That brought tears to my eyes. I love to see how you love being a mommy

Spirit of Adoption said...

WOW!!! I can't believe he's ONE! I was going to ask you at church when his b-day was, but didn't get to! Isn't it crazy!!! It seems like a couple of wks ago you were talking about weaning him at 9 mo!!!!! What a FUN b-day party!!!!! Looks like it was a blast! : )